THE CURIOUS CASE OF RICH CASON AND LARRY EARL GLENN

by Bruce on Sunday, November 11, 2012


So I was doing some back search on the record label who would actually put out this guy and I came across one of their early releases 2001 Boogie by Rich Cason and The Galactic Orchestra (both are bad ass names for anything and are both Rich Cason). I listened and it sounded VERY familiar, especially the drum pattern (as I spent a long time with it making an edit).



With a sweet ass synth intro like that I was expecting some far out space disco record that would blow my mind and change my life, but if you have a trained ear or were alive in the early 80s and frequented discos, you will know what this sounds like.... if not, it's damn near identical to Captain Rapp's Bad Times.  I wondered to myself, which came first. Turned out, BOTH were released in 1983 but have different composers (Richard Cason and Larry Earl Glenn respectively). 



How on earth?? The Cason version is super SUPER lame and not fun to listen to. I also couldn't find anything by either as their musical legacies (which were probably wiped from the internet) aside from these two tracks (and Glenn producing rap versions of When Doves Cry).  Unfortunately Cason passed away in 2007 so there's no contacting him.

Here's what I wanted to happen: Glenn heard 2001 and thought that it was funky enough to (steal) make a corny rap record out of (as it's 1983 and RUN DMC hadn't yet begun their imperial reign over the planet. That would happen in 1984) and put it out in the same exact year... as he did with When Doves Cry Rapp.

But this is what actually happened (fast forward to 7:10): 


Perhaps Larry Earl Glenn (a very 80's name) was just another one of his personae as you can see he has a fondness for plurality. Could you imagine if people still just made rap records out of current pop hits


Anywhooooo, another musical mystery solved.

No comments yet.

Write a comment: